Search
  • Wizard Steve

A new kitchen, part 2

Updated: Nov 18, 2021

I recently managed to get a lot more done on the new kitchen. As you may remember in part 1,* the priority at the time was to have the cooker back in place once the old kitchen was demolished. Then it was back to more important jobs.


I firstly, had to finish the floating floor, then fixed the corner post by the doorway.


You may also remember that I had moved the doorpost by the kitchen.** That also meant that that end cupboard had to also be shortened. I repaired the end and oiled the wood with a mix of boiled linseed oil and turpentine to bring out the natural colour. I then remounted the LED dimmer switch that controls the main kitchen light. (Or will do, once fitted.)


At some point, I had acquired another Oak bearer, which turned out to be fortuitous, as you will see.


In order for the bearer to be used where I wanted it, I first had to slice two sides.


I then sanded and oiled the bearer, along with the bearer that is to be the corner post.


It took a few days to add a number of coats. In the meantime, I covered the wall under the revamped cupboard with a vinyl wrap.


With Daniel’s generous help, I bought some sheet copper. That was not a good experience. I ordered the copper from some-one calling themselves the Multi-metal Shop. I got what I thought was a good deal, but the service was diabolical. I had to write a number of times before I was told that the courier had lost the consignment. Eventually, after some weeks, it arrived. But, oh! My expensive copper sheet arrived in cardboard. No plyboard or other form of preventing bending. So, it arrived with a bend in the metal. Not just that, but every corner was crushed, rendering a little over 2sq.m of brand new copper as scrap.


However, I did not have the time to send the whole lot back and wait another who knows how long to receive the replacement. And even then, how badly damaged would that be?! So I made do with a shitty feedback response and got on with the job.


With Michael’s help, the first sheet was cut to shape and fixed to the ceiling using a heat-resistant contact adhesive, then braced for the night.


The next day, I fixed and braced the section immediately above the cooking area.


All the faces around the cooking area were covered, the underside of the cupboard above the cooker and finally, the cupboard face.


I then fitted some tongue and groove to the ceiling, making a border between the kitchen and ‘front room’.


I made a length of beading, then sanded and fitted it along the edge of the copper on the opposite end, leaving it short enough to accommodate what will one day be a new skylight frame. I then stained in Yew.


And did similar to cover the join between the two sheets on the ceiling.


After that, I built a right angle frame.


I then cut a piece of ply to size, then marked several holes and forgetting to take any photographs, I cut out the holes, then covered with vinyl wrap.


Still forgetting to take photographs, I fitted the cut post, the wrapped ply with the holes and the right angle frame behind. Inside the compartment now built in position, I fitted a dividing wall and lots of little sloping shelves. I then stained the rims of the holes. The whole thing makes a great bottle rack.


Next, I fitted the corner post.


I then bridged the gap and made shelves, all of which were treated to a few coats of the boiled linseed mix.


A bloke called Andy who works at a shed maker gave me loads of 1” thick tongue and groove that had been rejected for minor blemishes. It makes the perfect worktop.


I started with the first length; under the window and against the wall. I cut the section out that the cooker sits in and shaped around the corner and cut flush with the doorframe, then fitted.


I then cut and shaped the surface to the right. I made it wide enough to create shelf-like space under and contoured round to a shelf.


The left hand side was then cut and shaped.


Both sides were fixed into position and treated. You’ll notice what appears to be a groove between the section against the wall and the main body of the worktop. That is where it is not glued together. The reason is that I have in mind a water tank. When it comes to installing, I will be able to remove that section of the worktop quickly and easily.


I had to leave the kitchen for a bit again as other, more pressing jobs took precedence. Still, at least I have a functioning kitchen again!


*see entry ‘A new kitchen, part 1’

**see entry ‘A new doorway’


111 views2 comments