I think the table is Yew as the trunk has that nobbly bark that is common with Yews.
I turned the table on it’s head in order to clean the underside. It was then that I realised the mission ahead. The trunk was full of dirt. I had no idea how much. I started digging. I spent four or five hours clearing the dirt out. The operation was exacerbated by the amount the inner trunk was rotting by. In the end, I dug out up to twelve inches of dirt and rotten innards. Plenty of insect life had to move out, too, along with a slug and a sizeable spider. Finally, I swept the whole lot down, clearing out some seriously dense cobwebs. By the time I had finished, the table weighed half the weight it had been at the time I received it.